Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Beginning of Great Things to Come

Probably the coolest thing that Logan has ever physically done happend last night.  I know I was pretty excited when he started crawling down the track a few months ago, but this was even more thrilling.  It gives me hope that bigger and better things are in store (and not too far away)!  Logan has this Fisher Price toy that is like "Rock Band" for babies.  It has a little guitar, keyboard, drum, and horn right in front for him to bang and hit.  There is mirror with blinking lights and all the fun sounds/songs you could imagine.  This toy has been a life-saver since he has about 5 months old.  Even when Logan couldn't sit up on his own, we would prop pillows around him to keep him upright.  Eventually, when he could sit on his own, but would still fling himself backwards on occasion, we just kept the Boppy pillow behind him as a safety net.  Now, he's sitting on his own 100% of the time, and there doesn't have to be a pillow in sight.  About a week ago, I was in the kitchen making dinner and had left Logan in the family room sitting in front of this toy.  I peeked around the corner to check on him, and what did I find?  Oh, just Logan lying with his back on the ground, with his arms wrapped fully around the toy which was crushed on top of him.  Was he crying?  Absolutely not.  He was grinning ear to ear and sucking on the mirror : )  Such a tough guy!

So...last night while I was upstairs, Olin yelled up to me that Logan had just pulled himself from sitting "Indian style" to his knees.  I thought...No way! I had to see it for myself.  Logan was sitting about a foot, maybe a foot and a half in front of his Rock Band stage.  Then he reached out and grabbed the side and the keyboard part with each hand.  With all his might, he pulled himself face to face with the mirror.  Then somehow, he turned his legs just enough to get to his knees.  I won't pretend it was effortless or graceful (he banged his mouth on one attempt), but he did it nonetheless! He did it.  I have never seen a kid, much less his parents, more excited about an accomplishment.  He was sooooo excited about this new trick he had discovered...he could hardly contain his excitement.  It was awesome.

I am hopeful that this transition move will just lead into many more new things that Logan will begin to try out physically. First pulling up to knees, then to his feet.  I can't imaginen how cool that will be!  The video is a little long, but totally worth it (in my opinion)! Go Logan!

No comments: