Friday, January 14, 2011

Overwhelmed with love

I can hardly put into words what happened tonight and how loved and blessed I feel.  I wish I knew some bible verses or more profound words to sum up what I am feeling, but it will have to just be the words of "Jackie" tonight. 

My best and childhood friend, Katie, had been insisting all week that she needed to come over sometime this week to give Logan a birthday present since she and her hubby would be out of town and miss his party this weekend.  Because of the crazy snow and ice, she never made it during the week.  So, today she called and said she and Greg wanted to come by, but she also asked if Olin would be home.  I thought it was kind of weird that she wanted him to be there.  That got me a little suspicious and I thought...she's pregnant : ) 

Well, she is not pregnant (yet), but she and Greg did come over right as Olin got home tonight.  She came in with a big basket and told me not to look yet.  So I showed Greg some of the ridiculous crafting that I've done all week (hey- what else do you do when you have 5 snow days in a row?).  Then Katie handed me a card with a letter inside.  I won't rewrite  the letter, but I will say that I've never had a friend write something like that to me.  If it weren't for medication, I would have been blubbering like an idiot.  Katie was actually in the hospital room, working as a NICU nurse, the night that Logan was born.  She truly has been there since the beginning of this journey.  In her letter, Katie explained that she wanted to give Logan something that would really be helpful to us in the next year, whatever he decided to throw at us.  S0, she gathered support from all of our friends and their families to put together a "Birthday Fund for Logan."  The basket contained over $2500 of gift cards to Publix for the next year.   Unbelievable.   Overwhelmed doesn't even begin to describe what I am feeling.  Friends, their parents, their grandparents, etc.  all contributed to make this incredible gift for us.  To all of them, I am so thankful...you have no idea how helpful it is going to be in the future.  Hopefully, Logan will be able to drink milk soon and eat lots of fresh fruit.  You know Publix always has the best of everything! 

I just can't put it all together in my mind.  The idea Katie had...the plan to get the word out...the generosity of all of these wonderful people.  It just makes me feel so lucky to have Katie and all of these people in my life.  I really know that Logan has so many people looking after him and wanting nothing but the best for him.  If he was on Facebook, I'm sure he would have more friends than me and Olin combined!  He really is an angel.  This afternoon,  he was belly laughing at everything.  If his smile can't make you smile, nothing can.  I have to believe he was put here on this Earth for a reason.  Maybe he is here to teach us all how to love more and enjoy life...stop taking everything so seriously.  I know we'll have our up and down days, but today we are definitely at the top!

No comments: