Saturday, February 5, 2011

Super Saturday

I'm feeling really good this Saturday morning...enjoying a cup of coffee while my boys are still sleeping.   Yes, Logan finally is sleeping again.  We had a few looooonnng nights this week with him being sick.  Babies don't sleep well with snotty noses and ear infections.  Every time he would start to fall asleep,  he's snort and wake himself up.  Poor baby.  I had kind of forgotten what those all nighter nights are like.  It was like having a newborn all over again.

Well, I've got grandiose plans for today.  You can see I'm getting right to it...blogging when I need to be unloading the dishwasher, writing thank you notes, grading papers, posting discussions for school, working out, and going grocery shopping : ) My parents (Grumps and ZuZu) are headed up this afternoon to get their Logan fix.  Grumps can't go more than a of couple weeks without having withdrawals. I can't wait  to show them all the great things Logan is learning in physical therapy now.  He had his best session yet on Thursday.  I was skeptical with him having been sick and all, but he was so happy and excited the whole time!  Our physical therapist is really wonderful.  She is pushing him hard and he is responding.  She was very impressed with his progress and said his core strength has improved significantly just since the first time she observed him in December.  I was such a proud mama that afternoon.  I'm always afraid that Logan won't "perform" and our PT will think we're not doing our homework (exercises) with him.  On Thursday, I felt like I had gotten an "A" from the teacher.  She could tell we had been working hard with him.  It's really exciting to see him catch on to things after just a few repetitions.  It's like he just needs to be taught and shown, and then he can do it.  Logan has what they call "hypogenesis of the corpus callosum."  Basically, the part of the brain that sends information back and forth from the right side to the left side isn't fully formed.  We found this out from his MRI done in Sept/Oct.  Anyways, it makes him have to work so much harder on activities that require both sides of the body to work together. 

Logan is getting so much stronger holding himself up on his arms and he's learning to transition from sitting to kneeling.  One thing I've realized is how much we all take for granted the fact that we can move.  Simple physical movements that we do everyday: getting up and out of bed, going from a sitting to standing position, walking across a room. picking up something to eat just come naturally to us.  We don't even think about it.  Logan has to/is going to have to work 10x harder to be able to do these things, but I feel really good that he is going to be able to do it in his own time.  Patience, patience, patience.  I should have that word written on my hand or something, maybe a tattoo, just to remind me that good things come to those who wait : )  Okay, it's 8:30 now and the house is still quiet.  This is weird.  Two cups of coffe down.  I think I'm ready to tackle the day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you love the therapist! Logan is such a strong little guy, and I know he will keep getting stronger. Love you guys!

Shaye said...

Glad you guys had a great Thursday with your PT! By the way, I loved the post where you wrote about getting excited to change Logan's poopy diaper! I could definitely picture you guys cheering him on! I was so excited for him too! :-)